5 Tips for a Successful Self-Storage Unit Auction
Self-storage units offer a convenient and affordable way to temporarily store unused items for many households and businesses. The problem that facilities face is that some units are abandoned by their owners or renters fail to pay their fees for several months. When this happens, the self-storage company may hold a public auction to sell items in a unit. Fortress Self Storage holds an auction for these type of abandoned units the last Saturday of each month at its central location on St. Thomas, USVI.
Self-storage unit auctions are popular because they give people and businesses an opportunity to purchase a large quantity of items at a lower cost. People who go to self storage auctions may use items for their businesses, homes or for re-selling on websites like eBay.
There are a few things that you should know before you go to a self-storage unit auction and start bidding. These auctions can get pretty competitive. Following are 5 tips to get you prepared:
- Know what you are bidding on. Items are sold as-is in the storage unit. Oftentimes, you don’t get a chance to even look at all the items. Make sure you take a good scan of the storage unit to see if it’s worth your bid.
- Carry a flashlight. You might not get too much time to see the contents of the unit or even get to see all of the items. A flashlight will help you see all the nooks and crannies of the storage unit.
- Bring cash with you. Self-storage facilities don’t always take credit cards or checks at auctions. Either take cash or call ahead of time to see what forms of payment are accepted.
- Bring a truck to start taking items away if you win. You may only have 24 hours to clear all the items from your unit. If you win a larger unit in an auction, it is helpful to start hauling items away when the auction ends.
- Have a strategy. Too many people get to a self-storage unit auction and get caught up in the bidding. Know what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. You don’t want to end up winning a unit full of stuff you can’t use just because you wanted to beat the guy next to you.
With a good strategy, self-storage unit auctions can be a great way to earn some extra cash. You might just find a few hidden treasures in the process.
For more information on self-storage auctions on St. Thomas, call Fortress Self Storage toll free at 877-611-2852 or contact us here.